As an international student, I have experienced a number of intercultural interactions and communications throughout the last three years in Singapore. One experience that I will never forget is when I first went to help on getting my hall’s float done for RAG day presentation which is commonly called as RAG rush.
RAG rush is held in a dining hall where many people are sitting side-by-side. It would feel awkward if you heard of people sitting side-by-side for hours without actually interacting and communicating with each other. But that was what exactly happened to me, I felt a culture shock and felt really hard to communicate with the other students.
The things that hinder me in initiating communications are languages, jargons, accents and level of endurances. In addition to my non-proficiency in speaking English language along with the difference in accents and pronunciations and local jargons lead me to the difficulty of receiving and conveying messages with other students. The people in RAG team has only been sleeping for less than 4 hours every day but they are still very active and energized. Moreover, I was used to normal sleeping hours that staying up above 11pm was very rare to me and working full-day would be too much for me. But most people would come around that time to start helping on finishing the float.
From Wikipedia, culture is a shared system of symbols, beliefs, attitudes, values, expectations, and norms of behaviour. In the example, the culture differences can be seen in the language, sleeping hours and hard-working traits. Culture differences are inevitable and can hinder on communications, but there are workarounds for allowing intercultural effective communications. I summarized these workarounds as share, respect and adapt. Sharing is important as both parties involved in communications might not aware of the differences. After sharing is done, respect, good-will and patient must be possessed by both parties as it is sometimes difficult in overcoming the cultural differences. For example, by asking on the local jargons meaning would help in communicating effectively in the future. Lastly, adaptation must be made by both parties.
Hi Adi,
ReplyDeleteI like how you summarize the workarounds to “share, respect and adapt”. I think it catches the essential parts of good intercultural behavior.
To me you seem very open and easy to interact with, maybe because you are always smiling and in a good mood. I think you manage the workarounds very well :-).
I look forward to read your next blog post!
Best regards,
Annika
Hi Adi,
ReplyDeleteYup! I agree with Annika! You have definitely picked up the English Language (Singlish too!) well enough to communicate effectively with Singaporeans. And I believe your level of endurance is there too. (Since, whenever we have project meeting, you either just ended your hall activities or have other work to attend to too.)
You have indeed assimilated well into our (Singaporeans') very hectic lifestyle of juggling many things altogether at the same time! :)
Cheers
@Annika: Thanks Annika! Indeed the hall life helps me a lot. I heavily interact with my neighbors, so more or less I have my practice everyday. So, that is how I managed to eliminate the culture shock. Hope everything have gone well for you too in assimilating to Singapore's university life! :)
ReplyDelete@Gen: Thanks Gen! The hectic life in Singapore indeed has its pros and cons. The pros would be we are doing more things with the same given amount of time than other country's people, while the cons would be well.. hectic :)
Adi,
ReplyDeleteA pity hall RAG didn't turn out well for you. I've been a science ragger since my first year and have made a lot of good friends (a result of keeping each other awake at the wee hours).
I like how you relate culture to the daily routines. It makes it much more personal! And its humbling to know how much effort you've made in adapting yourself to Singapore.
Out of curiousity, do you find yourself questioning some of the culture in your home country now that you've picked up some of the Singapore culture?
Hey Adi,
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you shared your encounters on NUS Rag. Since year one, I have been a passionate Faculty of Science's "Ragger". NUS Flag and Rag day has a traditional event in NUS. However, the floats and performance of Rag was actually started in Europe. However, one must admit that westernized activity such as RAG got localized in Singapore. You are right in saying Rag is a part of NUS culture where it is something like chinese who celebrate chinese new year and etc.
As you have pointed out earlier, I agree that language is one of the intercultural communication barrier. However, I feel that localized jargons or terminology can't be considered a language barrier whereas it belongs to that particular culture. Of course, it is important for one to tolerate and understand the differences. This would help one to be objective rather than being stereotype.
PS: "Raggers" is a word coined by NUS students who loved to be involved in making a rag float or choreographing dance.
Hey Adi,
ReplyDeleteYou have given a very nice example of inter cultural behavior.
I have had similar experiences during my stay at Temasek Hall.I agree with you,people here are active and energetic even after just four hours of sleep which is quite amazing.In my first semester at NUS,I was just like you,sleeping and waking up early.Now I have learnt to blend in with the atmosphere here.
I agree with Annika,your three workarounds ;share,respect and adapt are nice solutions to move past the barrier of intercultural communication.You can add one more to it "mingle" so that one's shyness or lack of communication(in terms of language,accent) doesn't come in the way to increase the network of friends.
Looking forward for your next blog.
Regards
Kripa